Monday, August 31, 2009

Why is life junior high?

As I write this (and the series of posts that follow), I'm keenly aware of the many facets of human nature and people's personalities.  That being said, I can recognize my own flaws, immaturity and inconsistency.  I think that we learn this ability in junior high.  Think back to those great years... Weren't those times where you had fights with your friends every other day, but made up right afterward?  Those were the days that everything that went mildly wrong was a crisis.  Those were the times that you were striking out on your own but still very much a kid.  You were learning that there were consequences to your actions and your words.  You had to make mistakes and sometimes learned the hard way. 

How much of that has changed today?  I'd like to think that I've matured in my years since junior high.  I still have fights with my friends, but I recognize that arguements are moments of growth and clarity.  Most of them don't end friendships, but sometimes make them stronger.  I think I'm pretty good at crisis management, however, every once in awhile, something will hit that jars me and knocks me on my ass.

Life is still junior high, because of those moments.  The times when you fight and make up; the times of crisis when you have to be strong or lean on others to get through it;  the times when you play like a kid and sometimes suffer the adult consequences of playing too hard... all bits that sling me back to junior high!

Let me tell the story and maybe you can see what I mean, or maybe you'll change my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment